you'll never see the courage I know...

never tell

never tell

Thursday, April 7, 2011

♥ I'm a seal sitter ;) I protect the cuties and teach Ocean Etiquette






















One of my many jobs! ;)

I wish I could post my 200 photos I have in my Fb photo album, but you can't really do that without giving up some of your privacy. Don't you just love Facebook? NOT!

I'm a Seal Watcher at the Carpinteria Harbor Seal Rookery. I teach Ocean Etiquette, promoting responsible encounters with marine wildlife & their habitats in the national marine sanctuaries. I watch for any disturbances to the wildlife, other viewers, or impacts on sensitive habitats. MY SEALS!

The City of Carpinteria closes the beach from December 1 through May 31 of each year during the pupping season. We monitor the rookery during the birthing, mating & molting season. The Federal Marine Mammal Act also imposes a fine for disturbing the seals.

I monitor rookery activities to divert any human or dog encroachments to prevent, or minimize, the intensity of any disturbance. Data is collected that includes multiple daily counts of both adult and pups, any disturbances to the rookery, injured animals and the number of visitors observing the seals. ETC ETC

No comments: